Highly Recommended Reading
NB – Book links are affiliate links
Getting Past Your Past is EMDR founder Francine Shapiro’s own self help book which explains the science behind EMDR in clear , simple terms and is chock full of practical, down to earth steps people can take in their daily lives to understand their own responses and overcome past trauma. A highly recommended book with very good reviews.
EMDR: The Breakthrough Therapy for Overcoming Anxiety, Stress and Trauma is a follow up work by Francine Shapiro which gathers together the now comprehensive body of research into it’s effectiveness in treating trauma, but also other conditions like stress, anxiety, addiction and other disorders. An excellent up to date resource detailing how effective it has been for treating a wide number of conditions.
Attachment Focused EMDR: Healing Relational Trauma is an excellent resource from Laurel Parnell which combines the latest research on EMDR with a particular focus on how it can be used to heal attachment deficits from early childhood in particular. A very useful book given that many of us experience relational deficits and trauma when growing up.
Bessel van der Kolk’s The Body Keeps the Score: Mind, Brain & Body in the Transformation of Trauma is a definitive resource arguing for the important of focusing on trauma as one of society’s biggest mental health issues. Der Kolk breaks down the long term effects ot trauma on the mind, body and brain and moves towards new approaches such as EMDR which appropriately address trauma on a fundamental level.
Other Useful Books on EMDR and Trauma
Here are some other books available on Amazon which you may find useful for looking into trauma and EMDR further.
- EMDR Handbook – 3rd Edition by Francine Shapiro
- Tapping In – A Step by Step Guide to Activating Your Healing Resources Through Bilateral Stimulation by Laura Parnell
- Every Moment of a Fall: A Memoir of Recovery Through EMDR Therapy – available for free with a trial of Audible.
- Self Guided EMDR Therapy & Workbook: Healing From Anxiety, Anger Stress, Depression, PTSD and Emotional Trauma by Katherine Andler
- The Body Never Lies: The Lingering Effects of Hurtful Parenting by Alice Miller.
- The Hidden Psychology of Pain by Dr James Alexander – includes a chapter on EMDR. See also our videos section for some videos from him on EMDR.
- EMDR Toolbox: Theory and Treatment of Complex PTSD and Dissociation by Jim Knipe
- When There Are No Words: Repairing Early Trauma and Neglect From the Attachment Period With EMDR Therapy by Sandra L Paulsen.
- Healing the Fragmented Self of Trauma Survivors by Janina Fisher.
Other EMDR Resources
- EMDR Institute – Founded in 1990 by Francine Shapiro
- EMDR Association UK & Ireland – Find a Therapist here.
- EMDR International Association
- EMDR Training & Consultancy (UK)
- EMDR Europe
- EMDR Canada
- EMDR Training Australia & New Zealand
- EMDR Training New Zealand
- Child Trauma Institute EMDR Page
- Comprehensive Summary of EMDR Research from the EMDR Institute – includes links to dozens of research papers.
- Dr James Alexander’s website.