Psychopathy and Sociopathy
We have devoted a special section to psychopathy and sociopathy on this site simply because psychopaths and sociopaths inflict a specific kind of psychological and emotional abuse on their victims that EMDR and Mindfulness can help you to overcome.
Psychopathic abuse can be devastating to it’s victims and leave long lasting problems that standard talk therapy sometimes cannot adequately deal with, or else progress can be painfully slow. Mindfulness and EMDR can both serve to speed up the process of fully coming to terms with and letting go of the trauma that psychopaths and other toxic people inflict on others, which is why we have sought to link the topics together on this site.
If you have experienced any of the following in a work or personal relationship and have struggled to fully get over it and move on then you may have been dealing with a psychopath or sociopath:
- Demeaning comments or put-downs on a regular basis.
- Erosion of identity and self esteem.
- Mean-sweet cycles of behaviour, alternating really kind treatment with really harsh or nasty treatment with no seeming explanation.
- Increasing violation of boundaries or increasingly unacceptable or outrageous behaviour or comments.
- Devaluing of skills, abilities or experience in a work setting.
- “Gaslighting” – a gradual chipping away at one’s sense of reality and perceptions; claiming things didn’t happen when they did or vice versa is the most common form of this.
This list is not exhaustive but is a good starting point for the main patterns of toxic behaviour.
This is an introductory resource page to the topic of psychopathy and sociopathy, so we have links below to some of the most popular books and videos on the topic. For those who have experienced psychopaths in everyday life then Jackson Mackenzie’s book Psychopath Free is the undisputed introductory text on this topic, written in non technical jargon free language. Be sure to keep an eye out for his new book Whole Again set for release in early 2019.
Books on Psychopathy, Sociopathy and Evil
Click to view on your local Amazon Store (Geo-optimized links)
Videos on Psychopathy, Sociopathy and Evil
Stefan Verstappen on Psychopaths (Gnostic Media)
Anthony Johnson – Surviving a Psychopath (Highly Recommended)
Hatman Strikes Back on Psychopathy – very informative even if you are not into boxing
Films on Psychopathy
See also our sister blog Psychopaths in Life for a more in depth site covering all the different aspects of psychopaths in all areas of our lives.